среда, 9 июля 2008 г.

31 Specific Things to Heal a Leaky Gut

31 Specific Things to Heal a Leaky Gut

I recently wrote about Leaky Gut Syndrome, and because I believe in fixing the gut so strongly, I am back with more today. In particular, 31 specific things to heal a leaky gut.


This past week, Time published the article, “You Asked: Is Leaky Gut Syndrome a Real Thing?‘ The article goes on to validate that yes, in fact, research is beginning to prove it, noting,


So-called “leaky gut syndrome” is legit, and likely plays a role in food allergies, type-1 diabetes, Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome and other digestion-related maladies, Fasano says.


In my previous post, I mentioned the following 9 ways to fix a leaky gut:


  1. Diet. Don’t even think you get out of this ahead without focusing on diet. An elimination diet of sorts is recommended and for sure avoiding things like dairy, soy, sugar, gluten, chemicals and other additives.
  2. Begin a Food Journal. I have practiced and preached this for years, but it’s one of the best ways to track food and mood and overall feelings from day-to-day to watch progress or a lack thereof.
  3. Limit the use of alcohol and NSAIDs.
  4. Determine if you have an underlying condition or infection. Remember, don’t Google your health problems, find out the true answer for you.
  5. Eat the foods that will help rebuild your gut. In particular, make sure you are getting enough Omega-3’s and when the time is right fermented foods.
  6. Supplement. You might need to supplement with things like digestive enzymes, glutamine, probiotics, licorice root, quercetin, MSM, zinc, slippery elm, and more.
  7. Eat mindfully and without stress.
  8. Reduce overall stress. Here are 28 ways to reduce stress to get you started.
  9. The 4R’s.

Today I want to give you 31 specific things I have done to help heal my leaky gut.


31 Specific Things to Heal a Leaky Gut sarahkayhoffman.com

31 Specific Things to Heal a Leaky Gut


Click HERE to save this post for later.


  1. Go organic when at all possible. Not everything we eat is organic, but when at all possible, I choose organic. When you understand more about Organic Practices, you’ll see the benefits to eating organic food.
  2. Nip alcohol in the butt. I rarely drink alcohol. (I do enjoy a high-quality vodka, water with lemon/lime, but it’s a rare occasion.)
  3. Eliminated foods that were irritating my gut. These are different for everyone (for instance, most people are totally okay with egg yolks, not the whites, but not me any longer – I can’t do egg yolks – and it’s super hard), and while you can do food intolerance and allergy tests unless it’s an allergy, it might not be completely accurate. This is, coincidentally, oftentimes because of the leaky gut itself. I was able to identify mine through an elimination diet. I have perfected the art of helping others do this as well.)
  4. Only took antibiotics when critical. Don’t trust anyone who tells you they are never critical. Modern medicine is here for a reason, and when you absolutely need it, take it. At all costs, though, I try to avoid. (I think my SIBO antibiotics are the only ones I’ve taken in years, but growing up I lived on antibiotics.)
  5. Broke up with gluten.
  6. Said goodbye to conventional dairy.
  7. Found an amazing integrative medicine doctor. (How to Find an Integrative Medicine Doctor)
  8. Became best friends with bone broth. We became the best of friends in 2009 because I learned that it contains collagen and the amino acids proline and glycine that can help heal damaged cell walls.
  9. I use Morninga whenever I can.
  10. Coconut oil, coconut oil, coconut oil. The “caprylic acid / medium-chain fatty acids in coconut products are rich in antimicrobial properties that work fantastically well to decrease levels of bad yeast and bacteria in the gut (help say goodbye to candida and SIBO).
  11. I rarely eat sugar, and if I do, I don’t feel well. (Sugar Substitutes, 21 Days with No Sugar, What Does Sugar Free Mean)
  12. I continue to reduce not only toxic foods but also toxic stress and relationships.
  13. I processed with caution on soy. I don’t intentionally buy things like edamame, tofu, and soy milk any longer. I’ll have fermented miso from time-to-time, but that’s it.
  14. I healed my gut to a place where I could reintroduce a ton of fiber. Then, I started eating 25g+ of fiber each day (mostly via greens, greens, and more greens).
  15. I stopped being obsessive over food and fitness.
  16. I went on LDN. I am mostly opposed to western medicine, but when I researched LDN with my integrative medicine doctor and learned that it’s a medication most traditional doctors won’t give combined with the fact that it is 100% serving its purpose for motility, I agreed with it. If you need medicated assistance for awhile, do your research and choose wisely. Otherwise, proceed with caution on medications.
  17. Arrived at the right probiotic for me. Not all probiotics are created equally. They contain different strains, fillers, and ingredients, and depending on the state of your gut, you need to understand all of this in order to choose the right one. I finally found that one for me. (Note: I do not take this when SIBO is active.)
  18. Fed my body prebiotics. Again, not when SIBO is active, though. I ferment my own veggies, brew my own kombucha, and eat resistant starch (hello the oh-so-amazing AIP Bread)!
    AIP Bread Recipe e-book via sarahkayhoffman.com Paleo Unprocessed
  19. HCL. Low stomach acid can lead to SIBO (another post for another day) and a leaky gut in general. When my gut heals it’s usually because I am focused on HCL.
  20. I eat lemons, drink lemon water and use lemon oils frequently.
  21. I take 1 tsp. cod liver oil daily.
  22. I eat a lot of wild-caught fish. My favorites are shrimp, salmon, cod and tuna (I totally love this salad). I’m still trying to fully integrate sardines.
  23. I did a tight SCD + GAPS + Paleo and low-FODMAP protocol for a very long time. This is grueling and I don’t believe something anyone should follow unless they absolutely need to and then only for the length of time necessary. (Learn more about GAPS vs AIP vs SCD.)
  24. But today I still limit the amount of grains and other irritating foods to the gut. I enjoy quinoa and rice (usually white rice) here and there.
  25. I sleep, sleep, sleep. Yes, I’m up super early, but I still sleep every chance I get. (Sleep and Gut Healing)
  26. I chew on ginger. My aunt recently taught me how to make homemade Pho, and in the Pho she used huge pieces of ginger. At the end of the stewing cycle, I would chew on the ginger. So good! I also drink ginger tea and add ginger in many other places.
  27. I sprinkle turmeric on most everything.
  28. I drink a lot of tea. I have mostly given up coffee (the last vice in my life), but I have added in a ton of tea. I talk about various Traditional Medicinal blends I drink all the time, and I have another post coming soon.
  29. I use digestive enzymes occasionally to help process heavier meals.
  30. I use L-glutamine daily, and I continue to increase the amounts.
  31. I find new and creative ways for incorporating collagen into my diet.

When it comes to testing, diagnosing and prescribing, you need a good doctor as your partner in crime.


But when it comes to food and lifestyle, specific diet, stress management and more, I am your partner in crime. Not only have I studied the gut and methods for healing it for several years now, I have also lived it and I continue to live it daily.


Illness, whatever your lingering illness might be, usually all comes back to the gut. Understanding your own, unique situation and healing via methods that are right for you will be life changing.


I promise.


I am passionate about what I do, and about the ways in which I help women thrive by finding solutions to problems they have had for years.


If you’re ready for a change, and if you’re ready to start feeling better, I would love to hear from you. Click HERE to learn about how we might work together.


p.s. Here are 37 (more) ways to heal leaky gut.


Xox,

SKH


If you enjoy my posts on the gut and/or healing + true wellness with food and lifestyle click HERE to subscribe to my e-newsletter. If you enjoy my posts on life, inspiration, passion, entrepreneurship, adoption, love, thoughts, faith and living in a way that gives us purpose, daily click HERE to subscribe to my e-newsletter (a different one). To follow the blog in general, be sure to place it in your feed.


Original article and pictures take www.sarahkayhoffman.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий